Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I Don't Do ALL The Teaching....

It's been an adjustment for everyone this year not doing Preschool and trying our hand at homeschooling. We haven't done as much organized learning as I'd planned, but we're making our way through things daily and Miss Moo seems to be learning more basics, broadening her vocabulary, and comprehending and applying many more concepts than I thought possible.

One objection that many people have to homeschooling is the lack of socialization that my child, or any child, will suffer by staying at home all day. There are many myths here that evolve from this belief, one of them being that we stay home ALL day EVERY day. We go to the park, we go to the library, we go to the grocery store, to play areas, and other general errands. My girls see other people AND children at all those places and Miss Moo has NO problems having a conversation with any of them.

But we also do other things for our girls, like gymnastic. Moo goes to gymnastics for an hour every Tuesday morning. It's wonderful because she is such an active, physical child and she can channel that energy and learn along the way.

She also learns other things in her fabulous gymnastics class.

  • She has to form a line and stay in it.
  • She has to follow the leader.
  • She has to listen to instructions.
  • She has to be able to repeat instructions given to her.
  • She has to FOLLOW said instructions.
  • She has to wait her turn.  
  • She has to try things on her own after being shown once.
  • She has to do things as a group that require working as a team.
  • She has to interact with other children her age.
  • She has to listen to other adults as authority figures.
I could go on with this list, but I think the benefits of her experiences are clear. I don't do ALL the teaching- I've never professed that I could. I firmly believe that it takes a village to raise children and I'm blessed to have found such a wonderful, nurturing place like River City that is teaching my daughter all I had hoped and so much more.



No comments:

Post a Comment