Monday, October 1, 2012

Moo's Birth Story from 10/13/09

As we enter the last week of having a 2 year old, I've been going through a lot of things to take a trip down memory lane.

I came across this email form of Moo's birth story and thought I'd share it with you, even though it isn't very well written or well thought out, I think it carries the excitement and awe of a first time Mommy one week after giving birth.

I was starting to get a little discouraged because I went overdue and I (along with all my family) thought that our due date of Oct. 5th was wrong and I'd have her late September or very early October. When my due day came and passed with nothing eventful changing, I began to get a little down. I had a good check on the 6th with some pretty intensive membrane stripping and the midwives went on and scheduled an induction for the 16th if needed but assured me that day and in a follow up call that they didn't think I'd need it.

Around midnight on the 8th I started feeling weird. I told Andrew that I was going to go to bed because I thought I might be in labor- something I had said before. I left the dishes from dinner in the kitchen because even though I felt different I didn't think that really meant anything and my Thursday would go as normal. I woke up around 2 am uncomfortable but not really in pain- I was having stronger cramping but there wasn't a lot regularity to it. I eventually go up and went to the living room to watch tv -  I was thinking too much and not sleeping. Around 5:30 I finally felt tired and went to bed b/c the cramps were spacing out.

At 8 am, I woke up with a start and thought that it was the garbage trucks clanking around outside our bedroom that got my attention. Then five minutes later I had what I knew HAD to be a contraction. I laid in bed until around 8:45 and was having then at 5 minutes consistently. I woke Andrew up and told him what was going on and that I was going to get in the bath to see if that stopped it. After 25 minutes in the bath, there was no change. We paged the midwife on call, Paula, and talked to her. She suggested that I come to the office that morning for a labor check so we could all see what was going on. We got everything completely packed and in the car just in case and ate a little breakfast just in case this was it.

We arrived at the midwives' office around 11:15- at this point I had 3 contractions from getting out of the car to getting in the office and Margie walking in my room at 11:25. She started to check me and my water broke ON the table. It was very comical b/c Margie is talking as she checks, " Okay, well, the head is now at a +1, you're 4 cm, 90% effaced, so I think AND THERE'S YOUR WATER!! Okay, I didn't do that! We're having a baby today!"

They sent us on over The Birthing Inn and took me right to my L&D room. They got me monitored, etc, and Paula arrived. I got in the tub around 12:30-12:45. I got down to 2.5 to 3 mins apart and got out. It was 2:15 and Paula did a check- 7cm 100%! I got a little sick at that point b/c she was starting to move down the birth canal and my cervix couldn't keep up. Transition kicked in and I felt no break in pain b/c there was so much pressure from her pushing down against my cervix. At 2:50 she checked me again and I was 9 cm. Paula thought she could help my cervix complete to 10 since the baby was coming whether my cervix agreed or not. I started pushing at 3 p.m. Andrew was a TROOPER!! He was guy on left leg, fanning me the whole time, and had to hold her head as she came out at one point b/c Paula had to get gown and gloves on! 

At 3:25 pm- she was born! She weighed in at 7lbs 7.4 oz  -  20.5 inches long  - and RED hair!!! Who would have thought! We were overjoyed that we were finally able to meet Maisie :) 

So, as far as I consider it, labor was 8 am to 3:25 pm, with the worst part that hurt being the 4 HOURS from 11:25 until birth. 4 HOURS! For a first baby - they called me their rock star.  :) I was able to do it naturally and I had 1 "skid mark" up close to my urethra but no internal or external tearing and no stitches at all. Looking back, I can't believe how blessed I was for a labor and delivery like that!







I can't believe she's almost 3!!

No comments:

Post a Comment